February 20, 2007

It’s that time of year again when the Catholics stick out like marked people


Ash Wednesday is upon us once again and I find myself contemplating what to give up for Lent. I usually give up chocolate, which is not as easy as it seems since it is also Girl Scout Cookie season.

I am also reminded of last year’s homily where the priest said, "We all give up candy and that’s easy but who can go home after a bad day at work and be Joyful?" That made such a difference in my life and changed the way I viewed Lent. Mini Red enjoyed it too!

I believe I have kept up with the “Joyful After Work” theme but now is the time to stop and re-evaluate. Then every year can just become better and better, right?

I have decided to take on a bit more and this one is a toughie. No cussing in the car or rather no Road Rageous cussing. I am, however, allowing myself to say “POOP”.

Mini Red has been encouraged to choose something in her life to eliminate or improve and really stick to it. Last year she didn’t do so well but at 12 I believe she can learn a thing or two.

What are all you Catholics out there planning on giving up?

Oh and if there is abundance of “Ode De Fish” on Friday’s it’s us Catholics.