August 1, 2006

Field of Dreams

I often like to introduce Mini Red to some really good movies or shows made before her time.

Several months ago we borrowed the Wonder Woman series, with Lynda Carter. Mini Red loved it and I enjoyed seeing them again. We got a kick out of them mentioning places around D.C. where I now visit for work such as The Navy Yard.

Mini Red, who was born in 1995, now has a love for Forrest Gump (1994), Steele Magnolias (1989), Far and Away (1992), Mrs. Doubtfire (1993), The Santa Clause (1994) and Christmas Vacation (1989) to name a few. She can now add Field of Dreams (1989) to that list.

We caught bits and pieces of the movie on Sunday. So when I picked up Mini Red from camp, today, and she wasn’t feeling well we set up a plan for the evening. We went to the store to get a few items and decided it would be a seafood evening starting with half pound of steamed shrimp. This would hold us over til the rice was done and the salmon baked. I asked Mini Red what movie she would like to watch and she immediately said she would like to see Field of Dreams from start to finish this time. And so we sat and ate our seafood while watching this classic.

My favorite scene is between Kevin Costner (Ray Kinsella) and James Earl Jones (Terence Mann). Ray has already spoken to Mr. Mann who has thrown him out of his home. Ray decides to try another avenue to get Mr. Mann to go with him to a baseball game a Fenway Park.

RK: I didn't want to do it this way.

TM: What the hell is that?

RK: It's a gun, what do you think it is?

TM: It's your finger!

RK: No, it's a gun.

TM: Let me see it.

RK: I'm not going to show you my gun. I'm not going to hurt you. I just need you to come with me.... What are you doing?

TM: I'll beat you with a crowbar until you go away.

RK: Wait! You can't do that. There are rules here?

TM: Oh, no. There are no rules here.

Just as Terrence Mann is about to hit Ray with the crowbar Ray says: You’re a pacifist!

TM: Shit.

I loved James Earl Jones in this part! Kevin Costner looks so young. This all makes me feel so old.

Maybe Tom Hanks in Cast Away next? She definitely isn’t ready for the Godfather series yet and everyone knows Godfather II was the best one.

Got any ideas?