January 11, 2007

What the hell is wrong with people?

Mini Red and I got home later than usual since it was Family Dinner Night at my parents. We arrive home and we were unwinding when the phone rings. The number looked like it might be someone we know so I answered it.


Man: Can I speak to Red?
Red:
Well, who exactly do you need to speak to?
Man: YOU NEED TO STOP CALLING MY NUMBER!
Red: No one has used this phone all ev…
Man: I WORK FOR THE FBI AND I CAN TAKE CARE OF THIS!
…click…
WTF? I am at a complete loss. I tell Mini Red to unplug the phone in her room and I unplugged the phone in my room.

I get online to get the number for the phone company so I can call and report this problem.

The phone rings again.

Man: Can I speak to Mr. Red?
(Here's my first mistake)
Red: There is no Mr. Red. I am contacting the phone company to resolve this.
Man: You need to stop calling me
Red: Sir, I am not calling you but I am trying to contact the phone company to resolve this issue.
Man: ok
At least he was much calmer this time.

So I call the phone company and the more I think about this the more it scares me cause I don’t know what the hell is going on and anyone who works for the FBI wouldn't announce it like that. I tell the phone company what is going on and I give them the number my phone is supposedly calling. Even the woman I was reporting this to thought it sounded scary.

The stooped shit always happens to me. I keep telling myself I shouldn’t be scared because it’s not like it was 25 years ago before Caller ID. When my Mom was a single Mom scary crap like this happen every so often and she would call the police.

After I got off the phone with the phone company Mini Red comes up to me and rattles off this phone number of the man yelling at me.

Red: WHAT?
Mini Red: This is the number my friend So-in-so gave me to call her.
Red: WHAT? DID YOU CALL THIS NUMBER?
Mini Red: No I didn’t call it. Well... I started to but I stopped.
Red: You were using that crappy phone in your room?
Mini Red: Yes.
Red: Bring it here.
As she is getting the phone I called Mr. FBI back. Now he is all nice.

Red: Hello this is Red.
Man: Oh yes.
Red: Do you have a daughter named So-in-so?
Man: Why yes.
Red: She's friends with my daughter.
Man: Oh I’m so sorr…
Red: YOU SCARED THE CRAP OUTTA ME ESPECIALLY CAUSE THERE IS NO MR. RED!
Man: I’m sor…
…click…

So now I’m upset and releasing the fear that welled up in me cause I didn’t want to frighten Mini Red. The phone rings and I unplug it. I can’t help but wonder why this man started by yelling and hanging up on me. By the time I called him back he was reacting like we were friends. What a stoopid dumb fuck!

Oh, and I threw her cheap ass phone away. There was no need for it anyway

I’m exhausted.