April 27, 2007

Are you ever amazed when you realize what's going around you?

Thursday, I was working out of my office in Alexandria. One of my co-workers was looking out my window and saw this site:

He couldn’t understand why this guy was sitting on this dumpster spraying every last bit of debris that was coming down the shoot.

I said, “It’s their asbestos control.”

What is it they’re spraying? It couldn’t be just water?

I told him, “Yup, its just water. When I was at the Pentagon they were doing some renovations outside my office. There were complaints about the asbestos so they put a guy in the dumpster to spray down all the debris so no one would inhale it. The dude standing in the dumpster told me it only helped somewhat but it’s less expensive this way and appeased worries about the asbestos.

Shortie added, "Our health is in the hands of a garden hose!"

As we were watching this guy straddle and spray another dude comes walking out, stands next to the dumpster to smoke. Unbelievable!

Even more amazing, than the dude smoking next to the make-shift asbestos abatement, is they are open for business. Guests are even in the rooms just below the construction.

I understand sometimes you gotta do what you gotta do to get the job done as in this case controlling this asbestos. I don't know if it's better to know what is going on and be afraid of how it's being handled or if it's better to be oblivious. I guess this can apply this to many other situations such as politics or is it all considered politics of one sort or another?