July 13, 2007

You've got to ask yourself a question: Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

Today is Friday the 13th and supposedly a very unlucky day. There are a schloo of theories as to why this is such an unlucky day but nothing definite. There are certain things I tend to be superstitious about but this is one I have let go.

The number 13 has been considered bad luck for quite some time now and seems to be the center of all superstitions. This is one superstition that can be seen all around us such as in buildings that don’t have a thirteenth floor. I mean really… It IS the thirteenth floor they’ve just named it the fourteenth. Unless, they created some tiny floor in between that they can call the thirteen so the fourteenth is really the fourteenth. Kind of like floor 7½ in the movie “Being John Malkovich” where there is a floor between floors.

Baseball players seem to be a very superstitious group. I have to wonder though… When their lucky socks, which they refuse to wash, don’t seem to be lucky anymore… When do they finally break down and wash them?

There are so many superstitions out there and they could drive a superstitious person crazy. I don’t want to be superstitious so I just don’t listen to any of them. Some say it’s all in our freaky little heads and we make our own luck. Maybe the superstitious just want a little magical luck in their lives? I guess if something wonderful happens in your life and you can attribute it to some superstition you have then why wouldn’t you do everything you can to make more wonderful things happen in your life?

There are a few that do run through my mind:

See a penny, pick it up; all day long you will have good luck… But it has to be on heads.
Some say pick it up no matter what since money is money. Some won’t pick it up unless it’s on heads. For me it depends on my mood and if I feel like picking up the dirty thing off the ground. There are times I will pick it up and flip it over so someone can find it and have the luck. I’ve even been known to set up Mini Red to find one since she gets so excited over it. If it cost me a penny or two to put a smile
on someone face then why not?

A cricket in the house brings good luck. To kill it is bad luck.
This is why my marriage ended. Hahahaha. Our house was full of crickets and they drove me crazy. I became the world renowned “Cricket Killer”. Once I chased one down the stairs and I leaped four or five stairs down to land on it. Maybe that makes me a “Ninja Cricket Killer”?

A black cat crossing your path is bad luck. A white cat crossing you path is good luck.
Phooey! That’s bordering on racist! Hahaha. This one is different in different countries, e.g. in Britian and Ireland it’s the opposite.

Walking under a ladder is bad luck.
This is one I tend to adhere to and can’t bring myself to walk under a ladder. Even a leaning ladder forms a triangle. The superstition is based on the triangle and that triangles represent the Holy Trinity. By walking through the triangle you’re a violating the Holy Trinity and breaking it. If you violate the Holy Trinity then you are in league with the devil. So heed this one.

Knock on wood… Three times.
Yup, I do this one! It was believed that good spirits lived in trees, and that by knocking on anything made from wood, we could call upon these spirits for protection against misfortune. I think the three times is because three is lucky and goes back to the Holy Trinity thing.
I’ve also heard:

Don’t step on one of those painted handicap in the handicap parking space.
I used to adhere to this one but then thought “If I can step on it then I should thank God I can and don’t have to park there”. I step on them all the time now.
There are so many good luck superstitions that just don’t seem lucky to me such as:

A robin flying into the house.
Hello! I don’t see the luck in this plus there will probably be bird poop all over your house now.

A bird pooping on your head.
Ewww gross!

To pick up a piece of coal that has fallen in your path.
Now your hands are dirty and your getting it all over you.

Rain on your wedding day.
I guess this could be lucky because if you can deal with that than everything else, in married life, will be much easier.
Superstitions are pretty much all in your head and are based on what you believe in. So if you believe something is lucky then it will be and the same for bad luck. I have decided that Friday the 13th will be lucky days, hence forth, so for me they will be. I say any Friday is lucky because it means I made it through another week.

Some superstition references obtained from oldsuperstitions.com