August 9, 2006

What is the purpose of it all?

Dying! What a morbid thought. Are we supposed to be thinking about it, unless we are knocking on death’s door? What is the purpose of our lives? WOW what a huge question that is!

JoeLogon did a post and it got me thinking…

When I was younger I would stop and realize how lucky I was to be created. But what is the purpose? I’m still figuring that out and thankful for my chance.

I see people and wonder what their purpose is? What about all those homeless people or crazy families on Jerry Springer? Is the purpose of the homeless peoples to test us and see if we will step up to the plate and help? This could be for a zillion tests. Would we even be tested? What about all those Jerry Springer type people? I know I’m being mean.

Death seems to be taken so lightly, at least on television. Then you might hear of an accident and a fatality and no one bats an eyelash. We seem to take death so lightly anymore. That life that was lost was a life created so long ago with a Mother and Father who nurtured that person from their first step and that first day of school to Middle School and on to High School and dating. There are tests for life and tests for school and preparing for College and moving out on their own growing into this responsible adult. This adult who struggles through relationships and jobs and finally finds the love of their life. They get married in a huge wedding that their parents have been saving for since they were born. They finally have children of their own and start the process all over again. Now… they are gone and no one bats an eyelash.

Life is so precious yet I sometimes think that is forgotten. The tragedies such as the people strung out on drugs living on the street and the kids that carry guns. We have been given a precious gift that doesn’t last long and more and more people are just throwing it away. Why? I know these are difficult questions and I’m not expecting you to give me the answer… it just doesn’t make sense to me. Maybe I’m naïve?

My ex-husband would just start crying at odd times. I would ask him what is wrong and he would say “My Parents are going to die!” The first time this happened I was concerned that they were sick or he had just learned of some fatal illness they had and I comforted him and asked him to tell me where this was coming from. I found out it just came out of nowhere and I soon learned that this would happen often. Maybe to get my attention but also I believe it’s a genuine fear of his. I still hear about it from him and we’ve been divorced for seven years. This seems to me to be a waste of time and energy. I’m not particularly happy about that day coming for my parents but I will worry about it when it’s warranted. No sense in worrying about it all... at least not right now. Just try and enjoy what life has to offer.

Isn’t the ultimate purpose of life to be happy?