September 30, 2007

Just a regular Fall Saturday

This is the first weekend in a long time that I don’t have anything to do. Summer is over so no beach trips and I needed to do some grocery shopping but that’s about it… No plans and Mini Red is off at her Dad’s

Friday, I put in a 14 hour work day and by the time I left I just wanted a beer so I headed home, had a beer and went to sleep. I wanted to sleep in but as soon as the sun comes up I tend to be up too. So I chilled out before heading out to drop off items at the donation site and then off to the grocery store.

The grocery store seemed to be busy but not crazy and carts were even available. I headed towards the berries, which are a must for my morning oatmeal. There was a dude stacking fresh berries. I stepped up an apologized for messing up his great stacking job as I leaned in for some blackberries. He said, “No! Not those! Take these, they’re better.”

I leaned in again to grab some raspberries and again he took what I had grabbed and gave me what he called better ones. He then said, “You gotta look WOMAN! Maybe you need someone to help you shop.” Ya gotta love the crazy berry stacking dude.

This was a great way to start this trip and I couldn’t help but smile as I saw this guy interact with other passing people. I took my time and moseyed through the store marking off items on my list. It was nice to be able to just take my time and not rush. When I got in line a manager came up and moved me to an open line but it was the express line and I had more than 15 items. I pointed it out to him but he said it was ok. I like this calm taking my time stuff I think it makes my aura much happier and affects people around me.

Now that I think about it everyone was happy and chatty today. Even the dude at the donation drop off place but then again maybe he was just happy I didn’t run him over, which I could have done. When I moved to the express line at the grocery store I offered to let this elderly couple go in front of me but they waved me on. The elderly woman even helped out by handing me items from my cart to put on the belt. After I paid I leaned over and thanked her for her help and she had a great big smile.

My plan was to head home and put the groceries away and I was trying to decide if I was gonna go see The Kingdom or go get a manicure/pedicure but Ra called. So I whipped up a broccoli salad and headed over to the Ra household.

They had other friends over and hanging out too. This was a couple they had recently met at Temple and they have a 5 year old daughter. When I arrived the kids were playing on the trampoline. We were a bit nervous about the kids getting too close to the edge so I suggested they do “Ring Around the Rosie” in the center. They sand and then all fell down and giggled. Ra’s youngest popped up and said he wanted to do it again. Well he said it in his own way and the new friend was surprised I knew what he said because she didn’t understand him. I love that I know him well enough to know what he is saying.

Ra’s hubby Gurp cooked and we opened a bottle of Fat Bastard and we all hung out as we casually ate. It was so nice, not-to-mention rare, to feel so comfortable with new people.

I was the first to leave and hated to go but I could feel how tired I was from my toes to my head. I got hugs from everyone even the little girl. Ra walked me out and I told her how much I liked this family.

On my drive home I was thinking about my friendship with Ra and her family. She and I have had our moments where we have gone months without talking due to some disagreement but that doesn’t happen anymore. We are both stubborn and hard headed and our friendship just keeps getting stronger. I have learned so much from her and I’m so glad to have her and her family. They have taught me to open up and trust. Gurp has become a really good friend too and he even brought back a little something for Mini Red and me from his trip to Bahrain. The boys look up to Mini Red like a big sister and I love that they call me Auntie.

It turned out to be a great day and I learned to just sit back and chill out, which was desperately needed. I can’t wait to do it again but next time I’m getting a turn on the trampoline.